Somewhere, in the next 60 hours, I have to:
– get through another day of work
– figure out some easily meals for Paul and Ben for next week
– get my hair cut and my eyebrows shaped
– try to get to a spinning class on Saturday
– complete the usual weekend grocery shopping and housework
– figure out what I actually own that I can wear in “winter” weather next week
– buy a hat to go with my winter coat because it is SNOWING ON THE EAST COAST
– set up the desktop webcam so I can video conference Ben while gone
– be on a plane to Philadelphia by 11am on Sunday
– …and try to spend as much time as I can with Ben before I leave
I’m off to a pharma marketing summit in Philadelphia Monday through Wednesday, which means flying Sunday, which means LOSING A DAY WITH BEN. I’m sad about that. But this is the price of being a Working Mom. And work’s been ridiculous this week, so I’m barely keeping up with everything I do on a day to day basis, which pushes some of the housework (like putting away my laundry) to the weekend. I did a double workout on the Wii tonight to burn stress, and also to zone out for a while, because tomorrow, the litany of stuff starts again.
I’m tired just thinking about this.
I should stop complaining about though. I’m a little overwhelmed right now, both at work and at home, with Things That Need To Be Done, and even Getting Things Done can’t give me more waking hours to do them in. But still, I have too much to do because I have a job, which already makes me luckier than a lot of people, especially considering how much I LIKE my job and find it to be an awesome challenge, every day.
And I want to get it all done so I can spend time with my adorable, brilliant, handsome baby boy. When I do get extra time to spend with Ben, he gets snugglier with me, and sillier with me, and will tell me all about his day, in Ben-glish. Also, we read a lot of books. I love being with my tiny boy.
And I have a supportive and devoted husband to help me get it all done. Paul helps me with the housework and takes total care of Ben on nights when I’m gone (like last night, when I worked late). If I had to handle any more of the home stuff as well as my work, I’d lose it.
And I’m going out with some of my best friends on Saturday. Granted, that means I have to be all ready to go before they come over for pre-dancing drinks, but still, I’m so looking forward to going out dancing and seeing my friends.
Life gets overwhelming, at times, but it’s overwhelming because I’ve chosen to have all these wonderful things in it. There’s just the occasional days, like now, when it seems like Too Much. Maybe someday, I will be able to afford a personal assistant to handle some of this stuff.